Travelerous Latest  ·  Forum  ·  Most Popular  ·  Log In  ·  Register  

What are some other names for the United Kingdom?

"The United Kingdom" or "UK" is actually the short form of "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". Because of this, there has been a mingling of usage with the United Kingdom, or U.K., often being referred to as Great Britain or simply Britain. Great Britain itself comes from the Latin "Britannia" which is the Roman name of the island, sometimes referred to as Albion. The Roman name of Ireland is Hibernia.

last updated 2008.10.19
No comments have been submitted yet.
Please register or log in to add a comment.